1. Governing Policy
This procedure is governed by the Scholarships and Awards Policy.
2. Sourcing philanthropic donor funds for scholarships
2.1 The ACU Foundation is responsible for sourcing of philanthropic donor funds for new scholarships within the framework of:
- the University’s Mission; and
- Strategic Plan.
2.2 The ACU Foundation will be informed as to priority areas of need through recommendations from the Faculties, Schools, First Peoples and Equity Pathways Directorate, the Scholarships Office and Associate Vice-Chancellors (AVC).
2.3 Unsolicited external donor offers of funding for scholarships and awards with a value of more than $2,500 must be referred to the ACU Foundation for consideration and response.
3. Negotiating scholarships
3.1 Normally the minimum donation negotiated will be $10,000 over four years with a scholarship benchmark of $2,500 per annum.
3.2 The ACU Foundation will liaise with donors regarding eligibility and selection criteria. Criteria to be specified are:
- Annual value
- Eligibility criteria
- Selection criteria
- Required documentation
- Conditions of scholarship which must include the maximum duration
- Composition of the selection committee or selection by Scholarships Office
- Endowment payment details
- Any other specific provisions relating to the award.
3.3 Following finalisation of the donation/bequest negotiations, the ACU Foundation will:
- advise Student Administration of details of each scholarship for the purpose of drafting scholarship rules in line with policy and for approval by the Academic Registrar; and
- obtain funds from donors, according to relevant agreements, and ensure they are deposited into the relevant ACU Foundation account.
3.4 The ACU Foundation will provide the Scholarships Office (and other internal stakeholders if required) with timely information as to any changes to the above so that appropriate action may be taken in relation to the rules and the administration of the scholarship.
4. Relationships with donors
4.1 The ACU Foundation is responsible for maintaining relationships with donors of scholarships and awards of more than $2,500 and for the provision of reports to donors as required.
4.2 The ACU Foundation will provide of an annual account summary to donors of scholarship and awards of more than $2,500 including:
- the number of scholarship or award recipients and recipient details;
- the total amount paid;
- the balance in the relevant scholarship/award account;
- progress reports from students (where requested in the conditions of scholarship); and
- letters of appreciation from students in receipt of scholarships.
5. Approval for the conditions and amendment of scholarships and awards
5.1 The Scholarships Office is responsible for drafting the conditions for each ACU scholarship for submission to the Academic Registrar for approval.
5.2 Faculties, Schools, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (DVCE), AVCs and the ACU Foundation are responsible for ensuring that the conditions for all Faculty/School or Campus awards are established and approved according to the Policy and these Procedures.
6. Maintenance of registers on the ACU website
6.1 The ACU Scholarships web pages will include the details of ACU and external scholarships that may be relevant to ACU students.
- Maintenance and development of the ACU Scholarships web pages is the responsibility of the Scholarships Office.
- The ACU Foundation, Faculties, Schools, the DVCE, AVCs and other units will provide the Scholarships Office with any information received about externally funded scholarships which may be relevant to ACU students for promotion through the ACU Scholarships web pages.
6.2 The ACU Awards web pages include the details of awards available to recognise the performance of ACU students.
- Maintenance and development of the ACU Awards web pages is the responsibility of Marketing and External Relations.
- Faculties, Schools, the DVCE, AVCs and other units will set up and upload the details of Faculty/School or Campus awards on the ACU Awards web pages.
7. Determining recipients against published criteria
7.1 The Scholarships Office will:
- liaise with University Admissions Centre (UAC) in relation to the lodgment, assessment and offer of Commonwealth Scholarship and Institution Equity Scholarship applications; and
- manage the processes by which applications for scholarships, other than Commonwealth and Institution Equity Scholarships (IES), may be lodged and assessed against agreed selection criteria.
7.2 The Scholarships Office will manage the assessment and selection processes in accordance with the approved selection criteria and will seek advice where:
- the selection requires that assessment is made by a selection committee, in which case the Scholarships Office will refer the constitution of a selection committee to MER or the relevant Faculty or School; and/or
- the eligibility criteria are specific to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, in which case the Scholarships Office will consult with First Peoples and Equity Pathways Directorate prior to making a selection; and/or
- the assessment relates to International Student Scholarships in which case the Scholarships Office will assist with the initial assessment of eligibility and will refer selection to ACU International.
7.3 ACU International will constitute a selection committee formed with appropriate members from the Faculty or School to assess and select recipients for International Student Scholarships in accordance with the approved selection criteria.
7.4 The Scholarships Office will manage ongoing eligibility assessment for continued receipt of ACU scholarships and Commonwealth Scholarships and any required communication of the outcomes of these assessments.
7.5 Faculties/Schools and AVCs are responsible for the selection and offer processes and any ongoing eligibility requirements, including required communication of the outcomes of these assessments, for all Awards, Prizes and Faculty/School or Campus scholarships that are not managed by the Scholarships Office.
8. Administration and payment
8.1 The Scholarships Office will
- verify eligibility for scholarship payments;
- provide details of scholarship recipients to relevant parties (e.g. for the Scholarships Award Ceremonies);
- manage payments of ACU and Commonwealth scholarships.
8.2 The ACU Foundation will
- monitor the Foundation scholarships account; and
- manage payments for awards.
9. Reporting and compliance
9.1 The Scholarships Office is responsible for ensuring data integrity of all approved scholarship information.
9.2 The Scholarships Office is responsible for the development, maintenance and operation of reporting systems for ACU scholarships. The Scholarships Office will:
- prepare routine reports on ACU recipients for selection, payment and assessment purposes and for strategic purposes (e.g. to describe recipient profiles and provide a basis for ongoing review of offerings);
- ensure that Australian Government conditions, reporting requirements and timelines are met;
- prepare reports to funding bodies on recipients and the value of scholarships awarded; and
- provide information to ACU Foundation for the purpose of donor reports as required.
9.3 Faculties, Schools, the DVCE and Associate Vice-Chancellors and the ACU Foundation are responsible for providing recipient details for awards with a value of $1,000 or greater to the Scholarships Office to record on the Student Management System for inclusion on the recipient’s Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS).
10. Promotion of scholarships to students and prospective students
10.1 Managing and funding the promotion and publicity of scholarships is the responsibility of:
- The Marketing and External Relations (MER) Communications Team for prospective students; and
- The Scholarships Office and DVCE for current students.
10.2 Production of promotional material will be the responsibility of the MER Communications Team working with information provided by the ACU Foundation, the Scholarships Office and DVCE.
10.3 The funding for development of generic scholarship materials, whether separate or as a component of student recruitment materials, will be included in the annual budget for student recruitment activities.
10.4 The nature and volume of, and timelines for, promotional material for scholarships will be decided by the MER Communications Team, in consultation with the Manager, EF&S as required.
10.5 Consideration will be given to the target markets to whom scholarships need to be promoted and careful consideration must be given to each area including consideration of appropriate timing. Examples include:
- Commencing student scholarships
- Continuing student scholarships
- Postgraduate coursework students
- Postgraduate research students (a responsibility of Research Services)
- International students (a responsibility of International)
- Scholarships relevant to specific geographical areas or campuses
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, both undergraduate and postgraduate
- Scholarships that are externally funded specifically for ACU students
- Scholarships that are externally funded, for which ACU students may be eligible.
10.6 AskACU is responsible for providing information to prospective applicants when contact is made with ACU.
11. Presentation ceremonies
11.1 The Marketing and External Relations (MER) Events Team in conjunction with the AVCs is responsible for coordinating and funding presentation ceremonies by:
- setting the requirements, event date, and due date for provision of recipient information in consultation with the Scholarships Office;
- setting the requirements, and due date, for provision of information of donor attendees and special requests from the ACU Foundation;
- managing venue bookings and requirements including catering;
- managing recipient/guest invitation, attendance and award presentation details;
- producing awards, program and any other relevant materials for ceremonies; and
- managing ceremony/event schedules.
11.2 The Scholarships Office, Faculty Executive Officers, for Faculty/School awards, and AVCs for Campus awards will provide award and recipient information for ceremonies.
11.3 The ACU Foundation will:
- provide the appropriate acknowledgement for ACU Scholarships for each campus;
- provide information about donor attendees;
- consider any special requests for ACU Scholarship events for each campus; and
- select the student to deliver the Vote of Thanks on each campus.
|Policy applies to||
All Staff And Students
|Policy Status||New Policy|
|Approval Authority||Academic Board|
|Governing Authority||Acadaemic Administrative Committee|
|Responsible Officer||Academic Registrar|
|Date of Last Revision||Not Applicable|
|Date of Policy Review *||01/01/2020|
* Unless otherwise indicated, this policy will still apply beyond the review date.
Related Policies, Procedures, Guidelines and Local Protocols
- Scholarships and Awards Policy
Page last updated: 2019-08-21
Short url: https://policies.acu.edu.au/1103959