- Application of Policy
- Timing and Process
- Frequency of Review
- Revisions made to this Policy
- Further Assistance
Australian Catholic University recognises the need for performance excellence to be successful in all of its activities and operations. In the context of its Mission, strategic goals and the Classification Standards for Professional Staff and to enhance excellence in performance, the University has a Performance Review and Planning for Professional Staff Policy.
To achieve performance excellence, the University needs to constructively nurture and enhance performance, and have mechanisms to recognise performance excellence and to manage performance improvement.
The Performance Review and Planning process provides a framework for identifying, evaluating and developing performance that assists staff to meet individual professional and work goals as well as their collective work area and organisational goals.
2. Application of Policy
The Performance Review and Planning for Professional Staff Policy applies to all professional staff who are employed on a continuing or fixed-term basis for a period greater than 6 months.
The Performance Review and Planning for Professional Staff process is designed to assist staff to develop so as to contribute to the quality of their working life and career, and to align their work with the strategic objectives of the University and Organisational Unit thus enhancing performance at all levels and assisting the University’s continued success of activities and operations.
The Performance Review and Planning for Professional Staff process is an important process to plan, monitor, evaluate, develop and affirm performance excellence to ensure that:
- the University’s Mission is upheld, strategic goals are achieved, activities and operations are enhanced, and effective customer service, including quality teaching and student support, are delivered;
- staff have a clear and agreed sense of their work, role and individual performance objectives and how these fit within the organisational objectives and the overall planning framework of the University;
- a process is in place for monitoring reviewing and nurturing the achievements of individual staff and their objectives in the organisational context, and for providing feedback and evaluation on performance;
- a clear focus is placed on developmental strategies in support of the staff member’s performance and career aspirations; and
- The University’s Capability Development Framework (CDF) is utilised to assess and develop the effectiveness and capacity of all staff.
The Performance Review and Planning for Professional Staff process provides the staff member and their supervisor the opportunity to:
- determine work priorities and performance expectations over the next annual review period;
- affirm the staff member’s contributions to the University;
- discuss the staff member’s plans for taking annual, long service and other leave;
- provide feedback in relation to individual performance, also with reference to work area and organisational goals;
- determine if the staff member is eligible for incremental advancement;
- identify if the staff member’s performance may warrant reward and/or recognition;
- discuss and identify assistance and support that will be provided to improve performance where performance is assessed as requiring improvement;
- identify the support that will be provided for professional and career development;
- discuss career aspirations and/or pre-retirement arrangements;
- discuss knowledge, skills and competencies development to support career and professional development; and
- discuss, as appropriate, any personal/work issues that may impact on work performance.
4. Timing and Process
The Annual Planning and Review Cycle is normally twelve months in duration. The process is supported by the Annual Performance Review and Planning Conversation Guide for Professional Staff Members and the Annual Performance Review and Planning Conversation Guide for Supervisors.
4.1 All Performance Plans and Annual Reviews for Professional Staff are normally required to be completed during the PRP window. New Professional Staff who are eligible to participate in the PRP should have their first Annual Performance Plan completed within 6 months of commencement at ACU.
4.2 During the performance planning year, the staff member may maintain a Performance Portfolio that reflects their achievements, consistent with their career goals and annual performance objectives.
4.3 Each year the staff member and the nominated supervisor meet to:
- discuss, review and assess the staff member’s achievements against the agreed performance objectives in the context of the staff member’s position description, professional development plan, and progress towards career goals,
- affirm contributions to the University,
- establish the agreed Annual Performance Plan that is aligned with the CDF competencies for the role and both Organisational Unit and Strategic Goals of the University. and,
- establish a professional and career development plan which records the staff member’s aspirations and activities to support both professional and career development
4.4 The nominated supervisor may be assisted by the Assistant Supervisor in setting performance objectives and providing feedback on performance achievements.
4.5 The nominated supervisor initiates the process by contacting the staff member to schedule a meeting. In preparation for this meeting, the staff member and the nominated supervisor and/or Assistant Supervisor, consider achievements in relation to the agreed objectives for the performance review period; identify any areas of concern; consider any extenuating circumstances and consider progress in relation to professional and career development plans agreed at the beginning of the performance cycle. The staff member may record these achievements and considerations on the Annual Performance Review and Planning Form for Professional Staff prior to the performance review discussion. The staff member and the supervisor (in preparation for the meeting) would refer to the CDF to assist in identifying competency areas of strength and development in relation to the staff member’s position as well as future career directions.
4.6 During the meeting the staff member and the nominated and/or assistant supervisor will discuss achievements in relation to the agreed objectives, areas of concern and extenuating circumstances and acknowledge and assess progress towards achieving professional and career development goals. The nominated supervisor/assistant supervisor will record comments regarding the staff member’s performance against agreed performance objectives, behavioural competencies, and, provide an overall performance rating. The staff member can record reflections regarding their achievements against agreed objectives and any factors impacting on the achievement of objectives. Further, through consultation the nominated supervisor will discuss and support the staff member in identifying or refining short and long term career goals. The staff member and supervisor can refer to the CDF regarding competency strengths and development areas. The staff member and the supervisor will discuss and refine and the performance objectives for the next year, and any professional and career development goals and activities.
4.7 The Annual Performance Review and Planning Form for Professional Staff will be signed by both the nominated supervisor/assistant supervisor and the staff member. A copy will be provided to the staff member and the Executive Team Member. The original should be submitted to Service Central using the ‘Submit Performance Review and Plan’ request. Copies of the documentation arising from the discussions will be retained by the staff member and the nominated supervisor; and the original placed on the staff member's personal file held in Human Resources.
4.8 As a result of the Performance Review and Planning process, an action to update the position description may occur. Updated position descriptions should be submitted to Service Central using the general enquiry form.
4.9 Discussions will be confidential to the staff member and the nominated supervisor and the Executive Team Member, who will be sent the completed Annual Performance Review and Planning Form for Professional Staff. A staff member may share relevant aspects of the Performance Review and Plan in support of other University processes.
4.10 The Professional Staff Performance Review and Planning Process Policy will be informed as applicable by the University’s Equal Opportunity Policy and will take account of the special needs of individual staff arising from different career histories.
5. Frequency of Review
Staff (except casual staff members and those on contracts of less than 6 months) are to be reviewed annually under this Policy. The Performance Review and Planning process for Professional Staff normally occurs in the first half of each year.
In addition to the formal annual process, regular informal discussions will occur between professional staff and their nominated supervisor/assistant supervisor about matters relating to their work and workplace. Such informal meetings may be initiated at the request of the staff member and/or the nominated supervisor.
6. Revisions made to this Policy
Major, Minor or Editorial
The University may make changes to this policy from time to time to improve the effectiveness of their operation. In this regard, any staff member who wishes to make any comments about this policy may forward their suggestions to the Director, Human Resources.
7. Further Assistance
Any staff member who requires assistance in understanding this policy should first consult their nominated supervisor who is responsible for the implementation and operation of these arrangements in their work area. Should further information or advice be required staff should visit Service Central.
- Performance Review and Planning Form for Professional Staff (Form, MS Word Document, 203.0 KB)
- Performance Review and Planning Form for Senior Staff (Form, MS Word Document, 73.9 KB)
- Conversation Guide for Staff (Guidelines, PDF File, 290.8 KB)
- Conversation Guide for Supervisors (Guidelines, PDF File, 306.0 KB)
- Conversation Guide for Staff Appendices - SMART objectives, Career Planning Tool (Information, MS Word Document, 1.1 MB)
- Conversation Guide for Supervisors Appendices - SMART objectives, Career Planning Tool, Career Coaching Tool (Information, MS Word Document, 1.0 MB)
- Performance Review and Planning for Professional Staff Policy (Policy, PDF File, 102.9 KB)
|Policy applies to||
|Approval Authority||Vice-Chancellor And President|
|Governing Authority||Chief Operating Officer|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Date of Last Revision||Not Applicable|
|Date of Policy Review *||31/01/2020|
* Unless otherwise indicated, this policy will still apply beyond the review date.
Related Policies, Procedures, Guidelines and Local Protocols
- Classification Standards for Academic and Professional Staff
- Managing Performance Policy
- Probation for Professional Staff Policy
- Professional Development Policy for Professional Staff Policy
Page last updated: 2019-08-21
Short url: https://policies.acu.edu.au/170967