- Background Information
- Policy Statement
- Policy Purpose
- Application of Policy
- Responsibility for the Professional Learning and Training of Academic Staff
- Professional Learning Opportunities for Academic Staff
- Revisions made to this Policy
- Further Assistance
1. Background Information
Australian Catholic University is committed to a working environment where professional learning is seen as a continuous process, which enables all members of Academic Staff to develop their skills and effectiveness in support of individual and institutional goals and priorities. It recognises the value of professional learning to achieving academic excellence, to the efficient and effective operation of the University, and to the work, career and personal goals of each individual member of the Academic Staff.
The University is committed to a culture of excellence. Professional learning supports the University’s ongoing investment and development of its staff to create and maintain a culture of excellence.
2. Policy Statement
Academic Staff will be provided with opportunities for professional learning and development consistent with the Mission and supportive of the strategic directions of the University. Professional learning at ACU is informed by several frameworks and standards that express the University’s expectations of staff. This ensures that professional learning undertaken by staff in consultation with their nominated supervisor directly supports organisational success and sustainability. These include:
- ACU Strategic Plan 2015 - 2020
- Catholic Identity and Mission
- Code of Conduct for All Staff
- Learning for Life Framework
- ACU Teaching Criteria and Standards Framework
- Research Quality Standards
- Academic Performance Matrices and Evidence Framework (APME Framework)
- ACU Capability Development Framework (CDF)
- Minimum Standards for Academic Levels (MSALs)
- Higher Education Standards Framework
- ACU Service Delivery Model within the Service Excellence Framework
- ACU Staff Enterprise Agreement including provisions in relation to Performance Excellence and Academic Career Pathways.
3. Policy Purpose
The purpose of Professional Learning for Academic Staff Policy is to assist the development of Academic Staff and thereby promote improved performance in support of the University’s goals and priorities and to outline the roles and responsibilities of Academic Staff, Supervisors and the Learning and Teaching Centre.
4. Application of Policy
This policy applies to all Academic Staff employed by the University.
5. Responsibility for Professional Learning and Training of Academic Staff
5.1 Academic Staff
The ultimate responsibility for the development of work-related skills and knowledge rests with each Academic Staff member. The effectiveness of any professional learning activity depends on the active and purposeful participation of the individuals involved. All Academic Staff are expected to support professional learning activities so that the benefits they bring to both the University and individual staff members are maximised.
Academic supervisors have an important role in identifying the professional learning needs of their staff. They are expected to support the overall staff development program by encouraging and facilitating participation in professional learning activities by their staff and implementing the Performance Review and Planning Program for Academic Staff within their area of responsibility.
Academic Staff Supervisors are also responsible for embedding the CDF and APME Framework in the day to day leadership and management of staff. This is through identifying and developing individual staff and team competencies to levels of expectations and behaviours in the CDF and APME Framework;
Executive Deans, National Heads of School, State Heads of School, Deputy Heads of School and other supervisory staff are responsible for facilitating professional learning for Academic Staff in their areas of responsibility. They also have a responsibility for ensuring that staff undertake any training provided by the University to comply with legislative requirements and in their responsibilities and accountabilities in relation to its implementation and ongoing management under the Legal Requirement Training Policy.
5.3 Learning and Teaching Centre
The Learning and Teaching Centre (LTC) is responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of the University’s Professional Learning Programs for Academic Staff aligned with the Learning for Life Framework and ACU Teaching Criteria and Standards Framework. Other areas of the University, for example, the Faculties, Research Services, the Academic Skills Unit, Human Resources and the Library, collaborate with the LTC in the facilitation and provision of professional learning for Academic Staff.
6. Professional Learning Opportunities for Academic Staff
University-supported initiatives to develop Academic Staff skills and effectiveness include:
- Professional Development Program including a range of programs that support Academic Staff and incorporates the standards, behaviours and expectations aligned to the frameworks and standards listed in Section 2. Policy Statement;
- professional learning and training activities organised by the LTC, Research Services and other organisational units;
- the Research Studies Program [see the Research Studies Program for Academic Staff Policy];
- secondment to the LTC;
- secondment to other higher education institutions and professional placements related to the work of the University;
- support to attend conferences;
- financial assistance to full-time Academic Staff, who successfully complete accredited postgraduate university units/courses undertaken by coursework [see the Academic Staff Study Support Policy];
- Teaching Development Grants and Excellence in Teaching Awards;
- support to attend professional learning programs and seminars offered by external bodies;
- the Library’s information literacy training;
- Faculty and School professional learning activities, such as conferences, seminars, presentations and workshops;
- encouragement for staff to join and participate actively in professional associations relevant to their specific discipline; and
- enabling staff to utilise Professional Pursuits Accounts to undertake externally offered professional learning and training, and to attend conferences and other scholarly activities.
7. Revisions made to this Policy
Major, Minor or Editorial
31 Oct 2016
Integration of the Academic Performance Matrices and Evidence (APME) Framework and the Capability Development Framework (CDF).
9 July 2018
Change wording from ACU Service Matter Framework and Service Principles to Service Excellence Framework.
|3 April 2019||Editorial||Change "ACU Strategic Plan” title to “ACU Strategic Plan 2015 – 2020” as per ACU Staff Enterprise Agreement 2017 – 2021, and Service Central contact included for further assistance.|
The University may make changes to this policy and procedures from time to time to improve the effectiveness of its operation. In this regard, any staff member who wishes to make any comments about this policy may forward their suggestions to Human Resources.
8. Further Assistance
Any staff member who requires assistance in understanding this policy should first consult their nominated supervisor who is responsible for the implementation and operation of these arrangements in their work area. Should further information or advice be required staff should visit Service Central.
- Professional Learning for Academic Staff Policy (Policy, PDF File, 100.0 KB)
|Policy applies to||
|Policy Status||Revision of Existing Policy|
|Approval Authority||Vice-Chancellor And President|
|Governing Authority||Chief Operating Officer|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Date of Last Revision||03/04/2019|
|Effective Date of Last Revision||03/04/2019|
|Date of Policy Review *||03/04/2022|
* Unless otherwise indicated, this policy will still apply beyond the review date.
Related Policies, Procedures, Guidelines and Local Protocols
- Capability Development Framework
- Service Excellence Framework
- Academic Performance Matrices and Evidence Framework
- Legal Requirement Training Policy
- Policies on Probation for Academic Staff
- Policies on Promotion for Academic Staff
- Policy on Academic Staff Study Support
- Policy on Evaluation of Teaching and Learning
- Policy on Performance Review and Planning for Academic Staff
- Policy on the Research Studies Program
- Policy on the Performance Review and Planning Program for Academic Staff
- Policy on Workloads for Academic Staff
Page last updated: 2019-08-21
Short url: https://policies.acu.edu.au/170905