- Background Information
- Policy Statement
- Policy Purpose
- Application of Policy
- Revisions made to this Policy
- Further Assistance
1. Background Information
The Office of the Vice-Chancellor and President has identified that the ongoing development and maintenance of effective senior management and leadership competencies needs to be given significant priority. The aim of providing higher education opportunities for senior staff to undertake an ACU supported management program is to ensure that the University has appropriately trained and qualified leaders to drive and achieve the goals and objectives of ACU as outlined in the ACU Strategic Plan 2015 - 2020.
One supported management program is the Masters of Tertiary Education Management (MTEM) through the LH Martin Institute. The MTEM offers participants expert perspectives on tertiary education systems, practical skills for leading and managing successfully in universities and colleges, access to the best and latest research and resources on the sector. It also provides exposure to a network of national/international peers facing similar challenges. The Vice-Chancellor and President supports an annual scholarship to undertake the MTEM.
2. Policy Statement
The University encourages the personal development of effective senior management and leadership competencies by providing this opportunity for eligible staff. The training is supported by the Office of the Vice-Chancellor and President in the form of a scholarship and leave to attend the residential blocks.
3. Policy Purpose
This policy outlines the content of the MTEM eligibility requirements and procedures involved when applying for this ACU staff scholarship.
4. Application of Policy
4.1 Frequency, Duration and Accreditation
One scholarship will be offered on an annual basis. The part-time program is 24 months in duration, offered in two residential blocks (on campus) and via online learning from the University of Melbourne. The first residential block is scheduled for March.
4.2 Eligibility Criteria
The program is purposefully designed for tertiary employed leaders. At ACU, the scholarship is aimed primarily at Professional and Academic senior managers - Level 9 - 10 and Level E or above; including the Executive Planning Group (EPG) and professional staff in a substantive position, and Associate Deans and State Heads of School members. Staff must be full-time or part-time continuing or fixed term staff and must have worked at the University for the equivalent or greater than two years duration.
These individuals must also;
- have at least five years relevant work experience (requirement of The University of Melbourne);
- be able to complete the program within their specified employment contract period where appropriate;
- hold an undergraduate degree or be able to map their experience (requirement of The University of Melbourne);
- meet the English language requirements of The University of Melbourne;
- manage a team of individuals or teams of individuals;
- have participated in the University’s Performance Review and Planning (PRP)Process in the past twelve months and have identified significant leadership development as a part of this PRP.
- be involved in senior decision-making and use their discretion and judgement to achieve significant outcomes for the university;
- have the full support of their manager to undertake the program, and;
- be prepared to sign an obligation to repay cost of tuition.
4.3 Completion Information and Repayment of Costs
Applicants must agree to and sign a learning agreement to complete the MTEM within 24 months of commencing study.
Obligation to Repay Cost of Tuition: The staff member must enter into a written agreement through the ACU MTEM application form, to repay any amounts paid on behalf of the University for enrolment and tuition under this policy if the staff member;
- voluntarily terminates employment prior to the end date of the MTEM program;
- fails to provide assessments to support the passing of the program;
- withdraws from the program post the withdrawal deadline date (4 weeks from course commencement date); and
- fails to complete the program within the specified 24 month completion period.
The amounts to be repaid will be proportionate to the number of uncompleted units. Any waiver of this obligation must be approved by the Chief Operating Officer or the Director of Finance.
4.4 Costs and ACU Study Support for Staff
The course fees are fully covered by the Office of the Vice-Chancellor and President. The course fees include course notes, reading packs and catering during residential schools.
The University of Melbourne offer a travel and accommodation scholarship to subsidise costs for domestic applicants who have to travel to attend residential blocks in Melbourne.
Text book costs are NOT covered by the university and they must be covered by the individual.
For more information please refer to the Study Support for Professional Staff Policy and Study Support for Academic Staff Policy.
4.5 Program Structure, Content of the Program and Staff Requirements
Please refer to the relevant annual MTEM brochure from the LH Martin Institute. To complete the MTEM program, individuals need to complete two compulsory subjects and four elective subjects (totalling 100 Credit Points): Please refer to link for further course information. MTEM COURSE INFORMATION
4.6 Staff Requirements
- the successful candidate must communicate quarterly with Capabilities and Development, Human Resources;
- on completion of the program it is a requirement to complete an evaluation form to identify the learning outcomes; and
- the participant will also be asked to provide a testimony and present to fellow peers or managers on the benefits of undertaking the program.
5.1 Call for Applications
During November, applications will be called from eligible staff to apply for the scholarship. Applicants must complete Part A of the MTEM scholarship application form and have their nominated supervisor complete Part B. Only application forms that have been fully completed and supported by the applicant’s nominated supervisor will be considered.
5.2 Scholarship Selection
A panel consisting of the Manager, Office of the Vice-Chancellor and President along with two members of the Vice Chancellor’s Strategy Group will review and consider all applications, with final endorsement and approval provided by the Vice-Chancellor and President. Applications will be reviewed against the eligibility criteria and the merits of the application. A decision will be made in January/ February each year and the successful applicant will be notified via written correspondence.
6. Revisions made to this Policy
Major, Minor or Editorial
7 Dec 2016
The addition of “participation in the PRP process within past twelve months” to the eligibility criteria.
|18 February 2019||Editorial||Change of name for “ACU Strategic Plan 2015 – 2020” and HEW Level 9 to 10 as per ACU Staff Enterprise Agreement 2017 – 2021.|
The University will develop a process for reviewing the effectiveness of the program application process established by this policy. Where applicable, the review will take into account necessary changes to other relevant University policies and procedures as well as changes to the requirements of the MTEM service provider. To assist such considerations, a staff member wishing to suggest improvements to the MTEM application process is invited to forward their suggestions to Human Resources.
7. Further Assistance
Any staff member who requires assistance in understanding this policy should first consult their nominated supervisor who is responsible for the implementation and operation of these arrangements in their work area. Should further information or advice be required staff should visit Service Central.
- Masters of Tertiary Education Management brochure (Brochure, PDF File, 405.7 KB)
- Masters of Tertiary Education Management Application Form (Form, MS Word Document, 178.7 KB)
- Masters of Tertiary Education Management MTEM Policy (Policy, PDF File, 102.0 KB)
|Policy applies to||
|Policy Status||New Policy|
|Approval Authority||Vice-Chancellor And President|
|Governing Authority||Office of Vice-Chancellor and President|
|Date of Last Revision||18/02/2019|
|Effective Date of Last Revision||18/02/2019|
* Unless otherwise indicated, this policy will still apply beyond the review date.
Related Policies, Procedures, Guidelines and Local Protocols
- Study Support for Professional Staff Policy
- Study Support for Academic Staff Policy
- MTEM Application Form
Page last updated: 2019-08-21
Short url: https://policies.acu.edu.au/695990